Mineralogy & Petrology Services
Evaluation of the mineralogy and petrology of ore minerals and associated gangue is an essential key to understanding the genesis and mineral associations of ore deposits. These studies are fundamental in the assessment of the potential methods for mineral processing and the differentiation of ore types to be considered in mine planning, mill campaigning and stockpiling/ blending strategy.
SRK offers a wide range of specialised services which include but are not restricted to:
- Ore mineralogy to assist in the design or review of ore processing methods
- Supervising and undertaking sampling from underground mines, surface mine workings, drill core or superficial outcrops
- Orientation studies for collection of alluvial and heavy mineral concentrates
- Surveys for indicator minerals for diamond deposits
- Forensic mineralogy for precious metals
- Trace element finger printing by LAICPMS
- Diagnostic mineralogy and petrology for deposit genetic models
SRK, through a strong association with Cardiff University, has access to excellent analytical facilities such as optical and electron microscopy, electron microprobe, X-ray diffraction and, for ultra trace element analysis, laser ablation inductivity coupled plasma mass spectrometry (LAICP-MS). The latter technique is useful in quantifying precious metals in different mineral hosts and has been used to gain a unique insight into refractory precious metal ores.
SRK has developed in-house expertise in ore mineralogy and petrology which continues to grow through the execution and supervision of mineralogical studies integral to mining and ore processing studies. These studies are global in nature and cover a wide range of commodity types and geological environments.
SRK undertakes ore mineralogy and petrology studies in conjunction with specialists at Cardiff University, Mackay School of Mines, Nevada, the University of Cape Town and the University of British Columbia depending on the location of the deposit and the commodity.